Announcements:    >>    UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECT-5-364/2014(HRP)MRP-MAJOR-SOCI-2013-26725(OBC)23.09.2015 Executive Summary    >>    UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECT -42-238/ 2013 (SR), dated 25.03.2013 Executive Summary    >>    New Course:B.COM(International Accounting)    >>    New Course: B.COM(Professional Accounting)    >>    Heber Analytical Instrumentation Facility - View more Details    >>    N-List UGC Infibnet E-Journals & E-books





Bishop Heber College is a religious minority educational institution established by the Tiruchirappalli - Thanjavur Diocese of the Church of South India. Its main objective is to cater for the higher educational needs of the members of the Church of South India and other Christians and specially to provide for them an educational atmosphere in keeping with the Christian ideals of the Church. The College, however, admits students of all faiths and religions and seeks to provide for them the best possible higher education



Bishop Heber College traces its origin back to Christian Frederick Schwartz, the first German missionary, supported by the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge (S.P.C.K) in South India. He built a school near the Rock Fort in Tiruchirappalli in 1762. The School was vested in the S.P.C.K, and subsequently handed over to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel(S.P.G) in 1825. Reginald Heber, the Lord Bishop of Calcutta, came to Tiruchirappalli in 1826 on his way to Sri Lanka. He visited the school on the morning of the 3rd of April and expressed the wish that better buildings might be provided. He also spoke to the Tamil Congregation and later in the morning died of apoplexy in the cold water bath in the District Court Compound here. He was buried in St. John's Church, Trichy. The School was renamed Heber Memorial School.



The Heber Memorial School became a full-fledged high school in 1864 and sent its pupils for the Matriculation Examination. In 1873 the School was raised to a Second Grade College and in 1882 it became a First Grade College. It was then known as S.P.G College. It was the first college to be established in Tiruchirappalli. Honours courses in History and Mathematics were introduced in 1925. The College came to be known as Bishop Heber College in the late 1920's and its Diamond Jubilee was celebrated in 1926 under the presidentship of the then Governor of Madras, Lord Goschen.




The Lindsay Commission on Christian Higher Education in India recommended the merger of the Bishop Heber College with the Madras Christian College. Accordingly, Bishop Heber College was closed in 1934 and the Bishop Heber Hall emerged at Madras Christian College, Tambaram.

The people of Tiruchirappalli, however, were not happy about the closure of the College. Right from the year 1946, efforts were made to revive Bishop Heber College but in vain. The Most Rev. Dr. Solomon Doraisawmy, who was consecrated Bishop of Tiruchirappalli - Thanjavur Diocese in 1964, plunged heart and soul into the effort to revive the College. He succeeded in reviving the College on 24th June 1966.

The College functioned at Teppakulam in the old College Buildings from 1966 to 1968, having only Pre-University classes. In July 1968 the College was upgraded to the Degree Standard with three Degree Courses Viz. History, Economics and Mathematics and the Degree Classes were conducted at Puthur, where the College had acquired a site for its permanent buildings.


For four years from 1968 to 1972, the College functioned in two places, the Pre-University Classes at Teppakulam and the Degree Classes at Puthur. The College grew not only in strength but also in popularity and academic excellence and attracted students from all over Tamil Nadu. In the meantime, the College managed to secure financial aid from the Protestant Central Agency for Co-operation in Development, Bonn,Germany, for the construction of its permanent buildings.The building scheme was taken in hand early in 1970 and four new buildings were opened in 1972. Many more buildings have since been added and the College now has a beautiful campus with lovely gardens.

The College now offers thirteen Under-Graduate, eighteen Post-Graduate and four Post-Graduate Diploma Programmes and three Diploma Programmes of study besides research programmes leading to M.Phil. and Ph.D. The College started offering programmes in the Self-Financing stream from the year 1985.

The College has already established a great reputation for its high academic standards and attracts students from all over India and abroad.

The College runs the accredited Study Centre of the Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi.

The revived College celebrated its Silver Jubilee in Feb. 1992 and the 40th Anniversary in June 2006.

The University Grants Commission, New Delhi and Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli granted Autonomy to our College during 2004-2005.


The college with the spirit of a goodwill ambassador ,has cut across boundaries to propagate its educational mission.In keeping with the present educational trend,the college has signed a number of MoU's with various universitis,colleges,institutions and other agencies of international repute.This fruitful endeavour helps in arguing an interface between institutions in order to promote exchange of information thereby facilitating and upgrading the quality of education offered by the college.The College has signed MoU's with Liverpool Hope University,UK,Wolverhampton University,UK,Kingston University,UK,University of Burgundy,France,Kasetsart University,Thailand, Applalachain State University,USA,Groupe ESC,Rouen,France,Churches' Council for Child and Youth Care,Bangalore,e-LIPI of STPI,Government of India,Tata Dhan Academy,Madurai,IBM,Bangalore,Tally India Private Limited,Bangalore,ICCI Bank Limited,UAE Exchange and MAHE,Dubai.These MoU's bear eloquent testimony to the high standard and quality of education offered in the college.





The College was accredited with 5 stars by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) on 21st May 2001 and was Reaccredited at the A+ Level on 31st March 2007.Also Our College has been recognised by the UGC as "College with Potential for Excellence"on September 2011. In the 3rd cycle Reaccreditation by NAAC, our College ha been Accredited with 'A' Grade with a CGPA of 3.58 on a 4 Point Scale on 3rd March 2015, and our college tops among all the Affiliated Colleges of the Bharathidasan University,Triuchirappalli. The College has been granted an amount of Rs.1 Crore by the DST-FIST for the scheme "College as Whole" in the year 2016. th College has been awarded "Star College Status" by DBT in the year 2016. The College has secured 4th rank at National Level Awarded by MHRD in the year 2017.

S.No.Name of the buildingOpened On
01Old Building(1)16-10-68
02Old Building(2)14-7-70
03Principal Sargurudoss Administrative Building27-01-73
04Bishop R.B. Manickam Block27-01-73
05Muthamizh kavalar Dr.K.A.P. Viswanatham Block27-01-73
06Schwartz Hostel27-01-73
07Chapel09-01-76
08Dining hall & Kitchen Block21-01-78
09Gardiner Hostel08-01-80
10Library And Auditorium25-01-82
11New Class Room Block19-10-85
12Bank Extension Counter Building03-03-88
13Chinnakkadai Street Shopping Complex30-04-88
14Christian Endeavour(C.E.) Hostel for Boys12-08-88
15Student Services Centre08-03-90
16Vasantham Gardens08-03-90
17Post-Graduate Block03-10-90
18Open-Air Stage12-02-92
19Power House03-03-92
20Bishop Solomon Doraiswamy Hostel03-01-96
21Administrative Block - I Floor15-12-2000
22Bishop Solomon Doraiswamy Computer Science Block15-12-2000
23New Toilet Block13-03-2002
24New Power House And Generator13-03-2002
25Dodson Hostel18-12-2002
26Dining Hall Block in Bishop Solomon Doaraiswamy Hostel23-02-2004
27Ladies Toilet Block23-02-2004
28Cafeteria Extension23-02-2004
29Multipurpose Building24-07-2004
30Administrative Block II Floor24-11-2004
31First Floor Over the Bishop Solomon Doraiswamy Hostel Dining Hall- C.E. Hostel for Girls08-09-2005
32Chapel - Rededication16-10-2005
33Student Services Center - Extension17-10-2005
34Ladies Toilet behind Computer Science Block17-10-2005
35Bishop Solomon Doraiswamy Hostel -II Floor21-02-2006
36SSC- II Floor31-01-2007
37Second Floor over Bishop Solomon Doraiswamy Hostel Dining Hall CE Hostel for Girls10-04-2007
38Principal Sargurudoss Administrative Building I & II Floor13-08-2007
39Library Block - III Floor13-08-2007
40International Hostel for Men13-08-2007
41International Dining Hall13-08-2007
42Multipurpose Building -III Floor03-12-2007
43Mess Staff Quarters04-09-2008
44Bishop Thorp Hostel for Women17-11-2008
45Gallery for Basket Ball Court20-02-2010
46380 KVA Generator07-05-11
47Block Renovation work for Bishop R.B. Manickam & Muthamizh Kavalar Dr.K.A.P. Viswanatham Block08-09-2011
48G.H.Launder Hostel for Women(UGC Funded)07-01-2013
49Administrative Block III Floor17-06-2014
50Rev.G.H.Launder Open Air Stadium29-09-2014
51Golden Jubilee Building21-04-2017
1966
Aided Section

Pre-University Course

1968
Aided Section

B.A. History
B.A.Economics
B.Sc Mathematics

1972
Aided Section

B.Sc. Physics
B.Sc. Chemistry
B.Sc Zoology

1978
Aided Section

M.Sc. Mathematics

1979
Aided Section

M.A. English

1980
Aided Section

B.Sc. Botany

1981
Aided Section

M.A.Tamil

1982
Aided Section

M.Sc. Mathematics converted into M.Sc.Applied Mathematics(Operations Research)
M.A Social Work
M.Phil. Mathematics(PT)

1983
Aided Section

B.Sc. Library & Info Science

1984
Aided Section

B.Sc. Computer Science
B.A. Corporate Secretaryship converted into B.Com.
M.Sc. Environmental Sciences
M.Phil. Tamil(Part-time)
P.G. Dip in Computer Science & Applications

1985
Aided Section

M.Phil. Tamil(Full-time)

Self-Financed Section

B.Com.   
B.Sc.Computer Science   

1987
Aided Section

Ph.D. Tamil(Part-time)
Ph.D. Mathematics(Full-time)

Self-Financed Section

B.Sc. Mathematics
B.Sc.Chemistry
P.G. Dip in Computer Science & Applications



1988
Aided Section

M.Sc.Chemistry
M.Phil.English(Full-time)
M.Phil. English(Part-time)

Self-Financed Section

M.B.A.(Part-time) -3 Years

1990
Self-Financed Section

B.Sc. Physics




1991
Self-Financed Section

M.C.A.
P.G.Diploma in Acturial Science




1992
Aided Section

M.L.I.Sc.
Ph.D.Chemistry(Full-time)
Ph.D.Environmental Sciences(Full-time)

Self-Financed Section

M.Sc. Physics




1998
Aided Section

Ph.D. Social Work(FT & PT)

Self-Financed Section

M. Phil. Social Work (FT)




1999
Self-Financed Section

B.C.A.




2000
Aided Section

Ph.D. English(Full-time)

Self-Financed Section

M.Sc. English(Full Time)
M.Sc. Information Technology




2001
Aided Section

M.Sc.Applied Mathematics changed as M.Sc.Applicable Mathematics and Computer Science




2002
Self-Financed Section

M.Sc. Actuarial Science
M.Sc. Biotechnology




2003
Self-Financed Section

M.B.A.(2 Years)




2004
Aided Section

M.Sc. Applicable Mathematics & Computer Science Changed as M.Sc. Mathematics

Self-Financed Section

Evening College renamed as Self- Financing Section by the University
M.Phil. Mathematics(FT)
M.Phil. Library Science(FT)




2006
Aided Section

Ph.D. Library Science(PT)

Self-Financed Section

B.B.A.
M.Sc. Mathematics
M.Sc. Chemistry




2007
Self-Financed Section

M.Sc. Molecular BioSciences




2009
Aided Section

Ph.D. Physics(PT & FT)

Self-Financed Section

M.Phil.English(PT)
M.Com.
M.Sc. Bioinformatics
M.Phil. Physics(FT & PT)




2010
Aided Section

Ph.D. Library Science(FT)

Self-Financed Section

B.A. English
M.Phil. Library Science(PT)
M.S.W.




2011
Aided Section

Ph.D. Botany(PT)

Self-Financed Section

Ph.D. Commerce(FT & PT)
Ph.D.Computer Science(FT & PT)
Ph.D. History(FT & PT)




2012
Aided Section

Ph.D. Physical Education(FT & PT)

Self-Financed Section

M.Phil. Computer Science(FT & PT)
M.Phil. Management Studies(FT & PT)
M.Sc. Zoology
B.Sc. Autuarial Mathematical Science




2013
Self-Financed Section

M.Sc. Botany(2 years Prog. converted to)
M.Sc. Bioinformatics(5 years integrated Programme)




2014
Self-Financed Section

M.A.History




2015
Self-Financed Section

B.Voc. Accounting and Taxation(UGC Sponsored)
B.Voc. Information Technology(UGC Sponsored)




2016
Self-Financed Section

B.Sc.Bio-Technology




2017
Self-Financed Section

B.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition
B.Sc.Environmental Sciences

Rt. Rev. Dr. G. Paul Vasanthkumar 
Bishop & Chairman
Dr. Paul Dhayabaran 
Lay Secretary, CSI TTD, Principal & Secretary
Bishop 
TELC

Rev. Dr.A.Suresh Kumar 
Clerical Secretary
Lt. Col S. S. Immanuel 
Treasurer, CSI TTD
Dr. G. Jones Gunasekaran 
University Representative

Rev.I.Franklin 
Rector
Dr.S.Isaiah 
Bursar
Dr.S.Angeline Vedha 
Staff Representative

 
 
 
Dr.D. Paul Dhayabaran 
Principal & Chairman
Dr. F. Samuel Christopher 
Vice-Principal (Aided)
Dr. A. Relton 
Vice-Principal(SF)

Dr.S.Isaiah 
Bursar
Dr.E.C.Henry Amritharaj 
Controller of Examinations
Dr. G. Gnanaraj 
Dean Of Academics(Arts)

Dr.S.Valarmathi 
Dean Of Academics(Science)
Dr. A. Umesh Samuel Jebaseelan 
Dean-Research And Development
Dr.Suresh Frederick 
Dean-IQAC

Dr.J.Manalan 
Dean-International Relations
Dr.S. Ally Sornam 
Dean Of Staff & Student Welfare
Dr.C.Dhanbal 
Dean-Extension Activites

Mr.J.G.R. Sathiaseelan 
Dean-Training & Placement
Dr.R.Vijayarani 
Department of Tamil
Dr.S.Sobana 
Department of English

Dr.A.Rajendran 
Department of History
Dr.S. Shanthi Getzie Ranijini Devi 
Department of Economics
Dr. C. Ravi Dhas 
Department of Physics

Dr.S. Padmavathy 
Department of Chemistry
Mrs.Priscilla Suresh 
Department of Zoology
Mr.A.Alagappa Moses 
Department of Env. Sc.

Mrs.R.Thamaraiselvi 
Department of Computer Applications (PG)
Mr.James Manoharan 
Department of Computer Applications (UG)
Mr.G.Sobers Smiles David 
Department of Computer Science(SF)

Mr.J. John Raybin Jose 
Department of Physics
Mr. Michael David Premkumar 
Department of Management Studies
Dr.Violet Dhayabaran 
Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics

Dr.P.Mariappan 
Department of Actuarial Science
Dr.Fennala Agnes Iylin 
Department of Commerce
Dr.E.Martin Arogiya Raj 
Department of Tamil

Dr.G.T.Samuel Devadoss 
Department of Commerce
Dr.M.Daniel Solomon 
Department of Social Work
Dr.D.Jasmine 
Department of Mathematics

Mrs.E.Shama Pearlin 
Department of Physics
Dr.J.Princy Merlin 
Department of Chemistry
Mrs.J.Patricia Jhansi Rani 
Department of Management Studies

Mr.J. Allwyn Emmanuel 
Department of Management Studies
Mr.W.Pradeeep 
IT Support