A hostel is a home away from home where students live in harmony and in togetherness above caste colour or creed. Through these hostels the administration tries to provide an atmosphere for a healthy growth of personality to the students. Students are requested to make optimum use of these facilities adhering to the rules and regulations of the hostel. Every inmate should have a copy of this handbook and be familiar with the content to make the stay of every student pleasant and purposeful. Wish you a happy stay in the hostel.
To provide the students a holistic environment that would help them shape their spiritual, intellectual and physical aspects of life.
- Students are admitted to the hostels only after
they secure admission to the college.
- A student admitted to a hostel enjoys the privilege
only for the particular semester of his / her admission, subject to his / her observing the rules and regulations of the hostel or other rules and regulations that maybe prescribed from time to time. His / Her admission to the hostel in subsequent semesters will depend on his / her good conduct and behaviour in the Hostel, regular attendance at College classes, practicals, tests / exams, etc., regular payment of hostel and mess fees, availability of seats in the hostel in subsequent years and other considerations bearing on the larger interests of the College.
- The residents must take the rooms assigned to them and shall not change rooms without the permission
of the Sub-Warden. It is the responsibility of the residents to keep their rooms and toilets clean and tidy. Residents are expected to switch off the lights and the fans when not needed or when they go out of their rooms. The waste basket should be kept outside the rooms for disposal.
- Students admitted to the College Hostels can occupy the rooms only during the normal term of the College or during the End Semester Examinations. All the rooms occupied by the students shall be at the disposal of the College Management during all holidays except weekends. Students are expected to leave their rooms open during all such holidays to carry out necessary repairs and white washing. However, inmates may keep their belongings in a separate room in each hostel or in their own cupboards in their respective rooms, except during the summer vacation. The Management reserves the right to open any room that is found locked during holidays and vacations other than weekends.
- Christian worship will be conducted daily in the College Chapel prior to the commencement of the Shift I & Shift II classes at 8.05 a.m. and 1.05 p.m. All Christian
students are expected to attend the worship. Others
are also welcome.
- Every hostel is provided with a payer room for the inmates to arrange Christian worship.
- No Corporate worship or religious ceremony /
celebration or procession other than Christian worship
or Christian religious celebration or ceremony shall be organised or conducted by the residents in the College Campus or in the Hostels.
4. Study Hours
8.15 p.m. to 10.15 p.m. will be observed as study hours on all days except Saturdays. During study hours, the doors and windows of the rooms must be kept open. During study hours all the residents must be in their respective rooms. Lights in the rooms must be switched off by 11.30 p.m.
5. Silence Hours
The hours between 10.15 p.m. and 8.00 a.m. must be observed as hours of silence. During these hours all activities likely to disturb the other inmates will not be permitted. Silence hours must be maintained on holidays also.
6. Library Hours
The Library is opened till 9.30 p.m. during all the week days mainly to facilitate the inmates to spend their study hours usefully in the College library, where they can refer to the books in the reference section and enrich their knowledge.
- Residents are not allowed to enter the kitchen
premises. Any complaint or suggestion about food or service must be made directly to the Mess warden / Sub - Warden in-charge of the mess.
- Students should adhere to the following mess timings
BREAKFAST - 7.15 a.m. to 9.00 a.m.
LUNCH - Shift II 12.15 p.m. to 1.15 p.m.
Shift I 1.30 p.m. to 2.30 p.m.
DINNER - 7.00 p.m. to 8.15 p.m.
- Food will be served only in the Dining Hall of the
respective hostels during the specified timings. Taking the meals to the rooms is strictly prohibited.
- Residents are not allowed to have any guests for
Payment of Fees
a. Establishment fees
Each student admitted into the hostel should pay the following fees at the beginning of every semester.
b. Mess fees
The mess will be run on a dividing system and hence the mess fees may vary every month. Inmates should pay the mess bill of the previous month on or before 10th of the next month (or) on or before 15th of the next month with a fine of Rs.100/- and get tokens for the next month. If an inmate fails to get tokens on or before 15th of the month, he/she will not be allowed to enter the mess hall from 16th onwards and ultimately, he/she will be sent out of the hostel.
c. Remittance of Hostel Fees
Parents are requested to send hostel fees directly to the Principal by Money Order / Demand Draft drawn in favour of the Principal, Bishop Heber College,Tiruchirappalli - 620 017 and not to send them to their sons /daughters / wards, in order to prevent delay and default in payment. While sending the fees by Money Order to the Principal, parents are requested to mention the name of the student, his / her Roll Number, Class and Name of the Hostel, in the Money Order form clearly. In case of Demand Drafts, a covering letter carrying the above information must be in closed.
- 01. Residents are expected to maintain strict discipline
during their stay in the Hostels. Disorderly behaviour
or anti - social activities on the part of the residents
either under the influence of any intoxicant or
otherwise, and disrupting the routine life in the hostels
in any way, will be seriously viewed. Any student
found guilty of such misconduct will be expelled from
the hostel summarily.
- 02. Residents should not engage in unnecessary
conversation with the mess workers and attenders.
- 03. Residents of hostels should not smoke, drink alcohol
or indulge in gambling of any kind.
- 04. Students who are guilty of (a) rude language towards
the staff of the College or of the Hostels, (b) assaulting
or attempting to assault fellow students or employees
or other Staff of the College / Hostel, (c) caught in
ragging, eve teasing, etc., or (d) using cellphone in
the hostel / college are liable to be expelled from the
College and / or the Hostels.
- 05. Students are expected to be modestly and neatly
dressed at all times.
- 06. Newspaper / magazines from the common lounge
should not be taken to the rooms.
- 07. Students are expected to keep themselves, their
rooms and the hostel premises neat & clean. They should
prevent any damage or destruction of the hostel
property due to either negligent or ill full activities.
- 08. There shall be no sports activity within the hostel
premises, especially in the quadrangles and the
corridors, at any time.
- 09. No private collection of funds shall be made from
students or staff without prior permission of the warden.
- 10. There shall be no noisy midnight birthday parties or
- 11. Ragging is banned; students are prohibited from
engaging in acts of intimidation, violence or abuse
directed towards any student, staff or hostel worker.
- 12. Use of Electric and Electronic gadgets are not
allowed. For the use of lap tops prior permission from
the warden is required.
- 13. Attendance during study hour is compulsory.
The first shift students should leave the hostel to the
College at 8.15 a.m. and be back before 2.35 p.m.
The second shift students should leave the hostel at
1.15 p.m. and be back before 6.30 p.m. In case the
student has work after the College hours prior
permission should be got from the sub - warden
- 14. Students who wish to go to their local guardian's house
should produce a letter from their parents authorizing
the local guardian. Students should not take the other
students to their local guardian's house
- 15. Students who would like to do additional course/part
time job outside the College should get prior written
permission from the Principal and Warden and
maintain a note book about their attendance.
- 16. Women Students going home for weekends / holidays
can leave the hostel and also come back to the hostel
only between 5.00 a.m. and 8.30 p.m. In case of
students from faraway places, the sub-warden should
be informed about their late arrivals and departures.
- 17. Women students who need special permission to go
out for an hour or two during day time can avail the
same by submitting a permission chit stating the time,
place and reason for the outing.
- 18. Leave forms & permission slips should be submitted
to the respective floor Sub-warden before 8.30 p.m.
the previous day.
- 19. Students who come late from College, outings and
weekend holidays should sign the late register kept
at the gate and meet the sub-warden.
- 20. Students can receive phone calls, from parents alone,
between 6.00 a.m. and 8.30 a.m. in the morning and
between 6.00 p.m. and 8.15 p.m. in the evenings
during working days. During holidays, students can
receive calls between 6.00 a.m. and 8.15 p.m. Phone
calls can be made through the "Coin Phones"
provided inside the hostel between 6.00 p.m. and
8.15 p.m. Residents should not talk for more than
5.00 minutes so that the other residents may also
avail themselves of the phone facility.
- 21. Visitors are allowed between 6.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m.
Visitors are not allowed inside the hostel premises.
No male student of the College is allowed to visit the
students in women hostels. Visitors should sign in
the Visitorâ€™s Note Book at the gate.
- 22. Mess rebate is given only when the student is on
leave for a minimum of 5 consecutive days. A letter
seeking mess rebate should be submitted to the
Mess Manager or sub- warden in-charge of mess at
least 24 hours in advance.
- 23. Newspapers and magazines should be folded and
kept neat after reading in the reading room. They
should not be taken to the rooms.
- 24. Certain sports equipments are available in the hostel
office room. Students can make use of them after
signing in the log book provided.
- 25. Any dispute with the students / workers should be
brought to the sub-warden's notice immediately.
- 26. Water and Electricity should be conserved.
- 27. Students should put their clothes for drying only on
the clothes line provided and should not dry them
inside their rooms.
- 28. Students should flush the toilets & keep them clean
- 29. Sanitary napkins should be wrapped in a paper before
disposing them in the bins provided. Do not flush
them in the toilets
Absence from the Hostel and College Classes
- a) Residents should not be absent overnight from the
hostel. Overnight absence without leave will be
viewed as a serious breach of discipline.
- b) Illness should be reported to the Sub-Wardens
without delay and self - medication is not allowed.
- c) Residents who require leave from College classes
on account of illness or on other valid grounds must
apply through the Sub-Warden.
- d) Leave of absence from the College and the Hostel
must be applied for separately.
- e) If an inmate applies for leave from the hostel and needs
mess reduction (leave period should be more than five
days) he / she must apply separately to the Sub-
Warden in charge of the mess before leaving the
- f) Residents must attend classes on all working days
unless they are sick and have applied for leave of
absence through the Sub-Warden. They must write all
the tests / exams conducted by the Department / College.
Absenting from classes, exams and remaining in hostel
or spending time in places other than classes during
working hours is a serious breach of discipline which
will attract fine or expulsion from hostel.
- g) Residents who wish to go home during weekends /
holidays must apply for leave to the hostel Sub-
Wardens the previous day itself. If it is a working
day, the permission of the HOD/Class teacher
concerned should also be obtained.
- h) Women students must sign the appropriate registers
kept at the gate while leaving the hostel and while
returning to the hostel (except when attending the
regular College classes). Action will be taken against
students who sign for one place and go elsewhere.